Colorado Developmental Disabilities Summit
10/22/2010 - 3:30pm - 9:00pm
What: A one–day facilitated discussion among a broad based group of advocates, self-advocates, parents, state agencies, providers and other interested stakeholders to reach a shared understanding of our vision, values and principles.
Who: Marty Ford, Director of Legal Advocacy for the Disability Policy Collaboration and immediate past chairperson of the Consortium for Citizens with Disabilities will join us to present and discuss implications for long term services and supports resulting from federal health care legislation. Marty will also provide insight on the origin and development of the Consortium for Citizens with Disabilities.
The Consortium is a coalition of national consumer, advocacy, provider and professional organizations headquartered in Washington, D.C. Since 1973, the CCD has advocated on behalf of people of all ages with physical and mental disabilities and their families. CCD has worked to achieve federal legislation and regulations that assure that the 54 million children and adults with disabilities are fully integrated into the mainstream of society.
Lessons learned over the history of the Consortium will be helpful as we move forward with coalition building in Colorado.
For whom: Advocates, self-advocates, parents, family members, educators, state agencies, providers and others interested in building a better future for persons with developmental disabilities.
Why: Coming together at this time of great change is essential for a solid foundation to maintain common purpose across all developmental disabilities.
· Clarify and affirm statements of our commonly shared values and principles needed to guide services and supports for people with developmental disabilities across the life span
· Contribute to the discussion about system change in Colorado
· Identify next steps to insure that, as a community, we address current and future challenges in ways that are consistent with our values
Registration: Click here to register. Online registration with a credit card is required of all attendees except for self advocates or others requiring financial support.
· $30 per person (includes lunch)
· Scholarships available for self-advocates and others needing assistance – please contact Marijo Rymer or Corry Robinson if you require scholarship assistance.
Please note: Child care will not be provided. If you need an interpreter or other assistance to participate, please indicate your needs on the comment section of the online registration form.
Sponsors: JFK Partners, The Arc of Colorado, and The Coleman Institute